RE: [gtkmm] Adding more C++ power to Gtkmm

From: Murray.Cumming

Please mention just one subject per email. Big multi-subject emails generate big multi-subject threads that are hard to follow. Most of this should be in
bugzilla anyway.

Sorry, my bad.. will do that next time.

> Some time ago, I've been complaining that Gtkmm does things
> too much C-like.

Personally I don't remember. I don't think that's true in general, unless
you are talking about the GTK+ implementation. gtkmm is generally thought of
as the most C++-like of C++ GUI APIs.

I believe it was at gnomedesktop.org or so (comments section).

> Also, it would be really nice if virtual methods (signals)
> wouldn't be like
> this (the C way):
>
> virtual void on_set_focus(Widget* focus);   // set_focus signal for
> Gtk::Window
>
> But rather like this (the C++ way):
>
> virtual void on_set_focus(Gtk::Widget* focus);

I don't see what's different there.

Err, sorry.. that was one of the worst examples ever (I thought the Widget was actually a GtkWidget.. I guess I was almost sleeping when I wrote that).

Anyway, I was referring to methods/signals like these:
- Gtk::Widget::on_size_allocate(GtkAllocation* allocation)

Where GtkRequisition is some vague Gtk structure.
I think things would become easier and more clear when having it this way:

- Gtk::Widget::on_size_allocate(Gdk::Rectangle size)
(as an additional method of course)

I hope it's more clear now.

Patch, patch, patch, patch, patch

I was already expecting to get an answer like that =)
The only reason for this post was because I wanted to know what you and/or others would think about it (and so that I wouldn't waste any time doing patches to be rejected in the end).

When I can find some free areas on my HD (for installing another copy of Gtk/mm + space for the compilated object files) and some free time I'd be happy to provide some patches.
(can take a few weeks)

- Rich