Re: [gtkmm] libglade for gtkmm

On Mon, 2002-09-16 at 18:24, Sarah Leitner wrote:
> To all,
>
> Thanks for Murray's response to my question. However,
> I have another question. I have to have a general
> "container" structure for all of the developers to put
> their pages in.

You need to define "page" here. If you just mean a Gtk::Container, then
yes it's easy to swap a different hierarchy of widgets into a container.

> I am assuming that each developer can
> put their own page into my "container".  This means
> that their are several XML documents being used, as
> well as non-XML code. Will this all work together?

I assume that you are still talking about libglade XML documents. You
can load as many of them as you like, and put the resulting widgets
anywhere you like.

However, I doubt that libglade, or any GUI-layout definition can fully
describe every interface. Some GUIs require code to make the widgets
interact appropriately for that application. You should probably try it
and see.

Although I know nothing about your application, I also suspect that it's
actually a data structure that you want people to provide, and that
there's also a standard arrangement of widgets that should be used to
represent that data structure. So it might be best to separate the
content and the presentation, maybe allowing the app to calculate an
appropriate presentation.

Changing the subject slightly, you might find that the various control
centres, such as the GNOME and KDE controls centres, and linuxconf, and
the Windows managment console are suitable prior art.

murrayc usa net