Re: [[gtkmm] Newbie questions (incorrect tutorial?)]

> > I realized that the stock item API changed, but the example programs
> > were not changed.
>
> I don't understand. Are you saying that the examples don't build against the
> latest API. That would definitely be a bug. And if you just think that the
> examples can be improved then please submit patches. Please ask if you don't
> know how to make patches.

Yes, that is what I am saying. I think the problem I was having has
already been fixed in CVS though.

> > I managed to correct the example programs by examining the header files,
> > and got the examples to compile and run. I realize that things are
> > moving very fast and it is yet an unstable API.
>
> Maybe you are not using up-to-date versions. Please submit your changes as
> patches if anything still needs to be corrected.

If I find any other problems and they've not already been corrected,
I'll be sure to do this.

> > Anyway, I guess what I'm saying is:
> >
> > 	1) Can someone provide me with some advice on how I can more easily
> > keep my local copies of GtkMM up to date with the current version so I'm
> > not trying to figure out problems which are already solved.

> > 	2) How should I go about contributing to the documentation efforts if I
> > am so inclined.
>
> Submit patches, or help us to organise the documentation effort by reviewing
> the documentation coverage.
>
> Reference documentation goes mostly in the .hg files and should be quite
> obvious. The book contains instructions about modifying itself.

I should have enough understanding soon to begin to assist with the
documentation efforts. I just got my first application to compile and
run using libglademm and libgnomeuimm.

> > 	3) How does one tell which documentation is correct and which needs
> > updated.
>
> You tell us if something is wrong or not documented.

A little overwhelming for me at this point. It's taking me considerable
time to figure out whether I'm doing something wrong, or the
documentation is out-of-date.

> > 	4) Same for example programs.
>
> If it builds and works then it's probably correct. More suitable examples are
> gradually appearing in examples/book, for use in the book.
>
> > 	5) How can I compile a simple GtkMM program outside of the examples.
>
> Please the FAQ and gtkmm_hello.

Thanks, I missed the point about using 'pkg-config'....That worked well.
It might be helpful if the FAQ explained the use of 'pkg-config' better
for those who've never used it before. If nothing else, I'll try to
submit an enhancement to the FAQ.

> > tried copying some of the examples to another directory and changing
> > them in order to better understand the API's. I found I was unable to
> > use the makefiles with the examples outside of the directory hierarchy
> > they came in.
>
> Of course.

I realize now this was real dumb. I was just trying to get something
working and I needed a base from which to start. The 'pkg-config' trick
solved this for me.

> > 	3) What assistance is available to someone like myself who'd like to
> > contribute some time, but needs a helping hand to get over some initial
> > hurdles.
>
> If you don't find the documentation (such as docs/internals) useful then you
> could ask on the #c++ channel on irc.gnome.org.

No, so far I've found all the documentation informative and helpful.
It's just a lot to digest at once.

Thanks for the Help.