Re: [[gtkmm] Newbie questions (incorrect tutorial?)]

Gerald E Butler <geraldbutler adelphia net> wrote:
> One of the problems I've encountered, is example code not matching the
> latest API's. I struggled with some of the "gnomeuimm" examples until
> I realized that the stock item API changed, but the example programs
> were not changed.

I don't understand. Are you saying that the examples don't build against the
latest API. That would definitely be a bug. And if you just think that the
examples can be improved then please submit patches. Please ask if you don't
know how to make patches.

> I managed to correct the example programs by examining the header files,
> and got the examples to compile and run. I realize that things are
> moving very fast and it is yet an unstable API.

Maybe you are not using up-to-date versions. Please submit your changes as
patches if anything still needs to be corrected.

> Anyway, I guess what I'm saying is:
>
> 	1) Can someone provide me with some advice on how I can more easily
> keep my local copies of GtkMM up to date with the current version so I'm
> not trying to figure out problems which are already solved.

Freshmeat can inform you when there are new releases, or you could build from
cvs if you want to be involved in the development.

> 	2) How should I go about contributing to the documentation efforts if I
> am so inclined.

Submit patches, or help us to organise the documentation effort by reviewing
the documentation coverage.

Reference documentation goes mostly in the .hg files and should be quite
obvious. The book contains instructions about modifying itself.

> 	3) How does one tell which documentation is correct and which needs
> updated.

You tell us if something is wrong or not documented.

> 	4) Same for example programs.

If it builds and works then it's probably correct. More suitable examples are
gradually appearing in examples/book, for use in the book.

> 	5) How can I compile a simple GtkMM program outside of the examples.

Please the FAQ and gtkmm_hello.

> tried copying some of the examples to another directory and changing
> them in order to better understand the API's. I found I was unable to
> use the makefiles with the examples outside of the directory hierarchy
> they came in.

Of course.

> 	3) What assistance is available to someone like myself who'd like to
> contribute some time, but needs a helping hand to get over some initial
> hurdles.

If you don't find the documentation (such as docs/internals) useful then you
could ask on the #c++ channel on irc.gnome.org.

Murray Cumming
murrayc usa net