Re: [[gtkmm] Accessing a sigC++ signal]

On Tuesday 08 October 2002 10:27 pm, jlm wrote:
> Wow. Bummer. I don't know what to say. I certainly can't complain,
> because I wasn't around to give input as to the direction that gtkmm 1.3
> should take. Unfortunately, my entire code revolves around sending
> signals everywhere.
>
> I've got a custom color dialog and when you select a color from within a
> drawing area, it then emits a signal that the sliders and other widgets
> receive and then update themselves. Also when a slider is updated, the
> drawing area is signalled to update as well. Other widgets are the same
> way. I came to gtkmm because I like C++ over C, but I stayed because of
> the ease with which you can subclass a widget to create your own widget
> and the power in libsigc++. I emit signals, I connect signals to other
> signals, I bind all kinds of extra data to callbacks, etc. To me,
> emitting signals is not only not rarely necessary, it is essential.

[snip]

Are you trying to emit a signal from a libsigc++ signal object (which
obviously you can still do) or trying to emit a Gtk+ signal? Since you are
using a custom color dialog in which you can install whatever signal objects
you want, I don't see why the things you mention above require the special
emission of a Gtk+ signal.

Chris.