[gtkmm] Forcing redraw of window, without returning to main event loop

Hi,

Is there a way in gtkmm to force a redraw of a window without returning to
the main event loop?

I have code which does a series of calculations, and I would like it to show
intermediate calculations on the screen as it runs.  I am updating the
models (eg ListStores) as the calculations are proceeding, but at present
all the results are displayed only when the series of calculations is
finished and control returns to gtkmm.  (I understand why it is doing this -
I just wonder if there's a way to force a redraw).

regards,
Dan