Re: [gtkmm] pack_start and AttachOptions is still confusing

On Thu, 2002-07-11 at 20:38, Michael Babcock wrote:
> Okay I realize it is probably too late to change this, but...

No, it's not.

> The two booleans have been changed to a single bitwise ORable
> enumeration. This makes the code more readable than just seeing "true"
> or "false", but doesn't solve the other problem, which is that there are
> two separate parameters, yet they are not independent. Even though we
> only have the single enumeration now, by making them ORable, we still
> have more allowable combinations than we should (in fact, it's worse
> now, we have six possible attach options instead of four).

Well, ORable flags are like that - some of them (2 of the 3 here) are
mutually exclusive.

> I propose a single, non-ORable enumeration that accurately reflects the
> possible packing options, perhaps something like:
>
> SHRINK - Shrink space to widget's size request.
> EXPAND_PADDING - Expand space with padding around widget.
> EXPAND_WIDGET - Expand space by expanding the widget size.

I like the idea.

So
SHRINK would be Gtk::SHRINK (or false, false)
EXPAND_PADDING would be Gtk::EXPAND (or true, false)
EXPAND_WIDGET would be Gtk::EXPAND |

Here is a link to the C function's documentation: