Re: [gtkmm] TextView resizing

On Sat, Dec 28, 2002 at 02:40:34PM +0100, Morten Brix Pedersen wrote:
> However, wrapping on characters isn't always the prettiest solution, so
> I'm quite annoyed with the behaviour you describe as well.

Maybe it's expected behaviour, but I agree with you it's crap - there
seems no way of achieving the standard way of wrapping in writing,
ie. wrap by word, hyphenate (or even just break) words that are too
long to wrap. Too bad for gtk they decided not to implement this.

> > Ideally I'd like it to resort to character wrapping when a word is
> > longer than a line - and I've seen this behaviour in gaim which uses
> > gtk+ 2 directly, but I can't seem to replicate the setup with gtkmm 2.
>
> A quick grep through their sources tells me that they use GtkText rather
> than GtkTextView.

Take at look at the snapshots from CVS on gaim.sourceforge.net (they
only very recently changed over to gtk+ 2) - they definitely use
GtkTextView, and seem to get the desired behaviour I've been seeking
(although I'm at a loss why theirs works).

Barnaby