[gtkmm] sensitivity seems to be 'ignored'

Hello gtkmm-members,

I'm using gtkmm 1.2 and have the following trouble:
a piece of code looks like this:

MyButton->set_sensitive(FALSE);
HeavyCalculations();
MyButton->set_sensitive(TRUE);

I guess it's obvious what I want to achieve with this: keep the
user from clicking like mad when he thinks the program crashed
due to alot of calculations. So, I tried the above code but even
though the button is greyed out it obviously is still receiving
'clicked' events because the callback for that button is called
right after it's sensitive again! I also tried inserting a
while(g_main_iteration(FALSE));
but that didn't help either.

The question is: why is the sensitivity not disabled immediately
and/or how else can I solve this? Is there a way to disable
ALL 'clicked' events at once (and how)?

Thanks for helping,
Jeffrey Rush.