[gtkmm] display of video images, threads

Dear All,

I am trying to write a (simple) application to get images from video4linux
(process) and display them in a window.

I have inherited from a Gtk::Window, and in this I have a button and a
DrawingArea (in fact a class inherited from it).

In "myDrawingArea" I have overridden the expose_event_impl: so that it uses
gdk_draw_rgb_image to draw an image buffer.

On the button click the program initializes the video4linux device, grabs an
image, puts it the imagebuffer and then it calls queue_draw().
This works fine.

The problems start if I insert a loop so that on button click the program
grabs and displays N images. At first I tried to simply loop grabbing and
queue_draw(), but the application only displayed the last frame acquired.
I do not understand why: can anyone help?

Then I used gdk_draw_rgb_image directly in the click callback function, and it
works, BUT I have some (refresh?) problems:
at 640x480 the part of the image below a line at 2/3 is delayed (or at least
this is the impression it gives me)
at 320x240 I have a similar effect, but rather than having a fixed part
delayed I have a line scanning throuh the image
at 160x120 the display is fine

The video is noticeably delayed. e.g. pointing the camera at someone talking
the images on the computer go out of synch with reality.

How can I improve the situation? (I already use double buffering for
acquisition, so I suspect the problems come from display)

Shall I use threads so that I start displaying while I am still capturing?
If so where can I find some documentation about this?

I have seen threads in Java, but never in c++. Is it common to use threads
with gui, for example to start a process and at the same time keep the gui
responsive?

Thank you very much in advance.

Enrico Costanza