Re: [gtkmm] gtkmm graphics questions

--- Martin Schulze <MHL Schulze t-online de> wrote:

> > How can I make the graphics work better? GdkRGB
> seems
> > like a good idea, it's not wrapped according to
> > gtkmm's docs. Will it get wrapped soon? I wouldn't
> > want to code it now with GTK and later recode it
> using
> > gtkmm.
>
> Unless you provide a patch for gtkmm 1.2 it won't be
> wrapped.
> All coding effort goes into gtkmm (pre) 2.0!
> Also if you don't want to recode later the only way
> to go is gtkmm2!

But gtkmm2's documentation also says it will not be
wrapped:

http://gtkmm.sourceforge.net/gtkmm2/tutorial/html/ch12s07.html

Is the documentation not updated or will this be
hidden behind Pixbuf or some other class?

> Your first problem (lifetime cycle of a Colormap)
> will not arise at
> all with gtkmm2 because it's the responsibility of
> gtkmm2 now to
> deallocate Gdk::XYZ objects when they are not used
> any more. You
> will never see Gdk::Colormap* in your code but only
> Glib::RefPtr<Gdk::Colormap>!

OK, but do I still have to allocate the colors in
every window I use? In other words are colormaps a
feature of a program or a window?

> Also have a look at the online docs of Gdk::Pixbuf,
> which is new in
> gtkmm2. You may find it a lot easier to do
> off-screen drawing using
> this neat class!

Only doc I could find was this:

http://gtkmm.sourceforge.net/gtkmm2/reference/html/classGdk_1_1Pixbuf.html

This is not very informative, it just lists the member
functions. An usage example or explanations on what
the functions do would be nice.