Re: [GtkGLExt] Is it possible to use overlays with gtkglextmm?

On Fri, Feb 12, 2010 at 05:42:13PM +0000, Jose Commins wrote:

>> of the requirements is to have the facility to view large files in full
>> detail. Applying transformations globally and moving the points away
>> from the origin also cannot work because OpenGL uses single precision
>> floating point, which cannot handle the need for having coordinates that
>> can express, with precision, values such as 20000.345, so I currently
>> place the points around the origin, their coordinates subtracted by
>> offsets that change each time. Also, I have been using GTK because the
>
>    No need to use floating point by the way, and you can get round
> single-precision quite easily by multiplying your values by, say, 1000
> before storing them in your vertex array.  There's a lot of headroom in
> there!

But the tricky thing is to predict exactly what value to multiply by. It's
a non-trivial problem, which whole PhD theses have investigated.  There's
even a website dedicated to the problem http://www.floatingorigin.com

J'

--
PGP Public key ID: 1024D/2DE827B3