[GtkGLExt] building pygtkglext

Hello,
   I am trying to build gtkglext and pygtkglext on a RHEL 5.3 workstation.  I downloaded both tarballs, and successfully built the gtkglext library and some of the demos.   I do not have root access to this workstation,  so I installed everything to $HOME/lib.  I then untarred the python wrappers, and attempted to buld them using both setup.py and configure.  Setup.py fails when it cannot find the gtkglext install.  configure/make also fails, though I don't remember the specific error that occurs - I think it had to do with not finding the gtkglext defs files..  Is there any way to build the python wrappers when the gtkglext libraries are installed in a non-standard location?

Thanks,
Ray