[GtkGLExt] glViewport query

Hi
I am new to gtkglext trying to run some simple sample programs.
In gtkglext, we create a drawing area as a widget and then set the size of
the viewport using glviewport().Is the size of the drawing area not same as
the size of the viewport? If not,then y? why would anyone make the size of
drawing area and viewport different when viewport is also used to limit the
size of drawing area?
Also where is the coordinate (0,0) located on a window in this case?
for gtk applications,it is located at top left corner.for gtkglext,where is
it located? I am getting confused with the negative coordinates used in
glviewport and glrectf and similar fns.