[GtkGLExt] not receiving motion-notify-events

Hello,
    I recently upgraded to ubuntu 9.10, and am having trouble with a pyglkglext application I have been working on.  The code runs fine on RHEL5.3 and ubuntu 9.04, but when I run under ubuntu 9.10, I do not receive any motion-notify-events in the GLArea window.  My application uses GLScene/GLArea from the gtk.gtkgl.apputils module.  I have confirmed that motion-nofity-event is being added and the callback connected, but the event never seems to be raised.  Button-press and button-release events seem to be behaving correctly, as well as scroll wheel events (which I add manually since button5-events don't work in gtk 2.2).  Has anyone else seen this behavior?  Any suggestions on diagnosing/fixing?

library versions reported by ubuntu (all installed as ubuntu packages from 9.10 repositories):

python 2.6.4
libgtk2.18
pygtk 2.16
libgtkglext 1.2