Fwd: [GtkGLExt] troubles with shareing display lists - yes, me again.

 Hi.
Realizing that the backend to GtkGLExt is glX, I read the man page for glXCreatContext (after all this time?), and discovered this:

       If direct is True, then a direct rendering context is  created  if  the
       implementation  supports direct rendering, if the connection is to an X
       server that is local, and if a direct rendering context  is  available.
       (An implementation may return an indirect context when direct is True).
       If direct is False, then a rendering context that renders through the X
       server  is  always  created.   Direct  rendering provides a performance
       advantage in some implementations.  However, dir ect rendering  contexts
       cannot  be  shared  outside a single process, and they may be unable to
       render to GLX pixmaps.

"direct" being parameter 3 in gdk_gl_context_new().  If I set the direct connection parameter to "true" when creating the context used with the pixmap, I get a X window error as soon as I try to draw something.  If I set it to "false" in the pixmap's context, and true when I call gtk_widget_set_gl_capability() in the "client window", I get no errors, but the display lists are not available to that window.  If I change the setting to false in both contexts, I get the behavior I'm looking for (a pixmap that "contains" the display lists I want to share, and "client" windows that can draw these lists on the screen).

I'm using Xorg 6.8.2, with the provided Radeon drivers, I don't know if that's even important.

Does anyone thin k that the performance will be disappointing without a direct connection to the graphics system?  Could it be some permission setting somewhere?

And I have to assume that K3d actually works (though I haven't yet installed it because of the GtkGLExt pango issues), and Mr. Shead uses a direct connection when building his pixmap, I wonder why it works for him but not for me?  Maybe I should sacrifice my gerbil to the X Window gods??

thanks for any help
walter

Yahoo! Photos ? Showcase holiday pictures in hardcover
Photo Books. You design it and we?ll bind it!