Re: [GtkGLExt] Suitability for real-time apps (i.e. Gamezzz)

Am Sat, 25 Feb 2006 15:43:14 +0000 schrieb Asfand Yar Qazi:

> Hi,
>
> What is the feasibility of using Gtkglext for games?  By this I mean,
> I want full control over the application loop and don't want GTK to
> take it over, and I want to be able to push as much information into
> the graphics card as possible, and I want double-buffered fullscreen.
>
> Is this possible with Gtkglext?  Is GTK+ capable of functioning in a
> 'secondary' capacity to someone elses main() function, so to speak?
>
> Has it been done before?  I'm thinking of using OpenSceneGraph for
> this purpose (which doesn't do any window system specific stuff, just
> handles OpenGL)
>
> Also, I may need 'out-of-the-way' mouse/joystick/keyboard handling,
> and I'm thinking of using SDL for this - feasible?

Perhaps I've another complete uncommon solution for this. If you need
Gtk+ only for config dialogs then implement the 3D window in SDL, GLUT
or another toolkit and the dialogs in another process. Then you could
fork and communicate with IPC. So you've a full controllable main-loop
and a common Gtk+ application.

regards
Andreas