Re: [GtkGLExt] Suitability for real-time apps (i.e. Gamezzz)

Timothy M. Shead wrote:
Asfand Yar Qazi wrote:

What is the feasibility of using Gtkglext for games? By this I mean, I want full control over the application loop and don't want GTK to take it over, and I want to be able to push as much information into the graphics card as possible, and I want double-buffered fullscreen.

Is this possible with Gtkglext? Is GTK+ capable of functioning in a 'secondary' capacity to someone elses main() function, so to speak?

Has it been done before? I'm thinking of using OpenSceneGraph for this purpose (which doesn't do any window system specific stuff, just handles OpenGL)

Also, I may need 'out-of-the-way' mouse/joystick/keyboard handling, and I'm thinking of using SDL for this - feasible?

Shouldn't be a problem, although I wonder whether there is any reason to use GTK at all in this case?

RPGs and stuff require rather complex user interfaces these days (tried playing something like Star Wars Galaxies?) All those buttons and lists and trees and stuff, used for managing inventories, skills, stats, character generation, and more importantly level editors - I don't intend to learn more than one GUI toolkit if I can help it, and I'd rather not write my own either.