[GtkGLExt] on_realize() vs. on_configure_event()

Sorry if this is a bit of a newbie question, but I've
only just started playing with gtkglextmm, and I can't
find much in the various documentation.
In e.g. simple.cc, the Gtk::GL:DrawingArea has
on_realize() and on_configure_event() member
functions. My guess is the former is called when the
object is created (instantiated) and the latter is
called (immediately?) afterwards to set the properties
of the object.
Is the on_realize() called only once per object?
Is the on_configure_event() called anytime the
object's properties are changed e.g. a window resize?
Are there guidelines as to what to put into these
functions?
Thanks in advance.
Andrew Speirs