[GtkGLExt] font-pangoft2-tex example very slow

Hi, the font-pangoft2-tex example runs very very slow
on my computer, and pegs the cpu to %100.

My real question is that I want to use some textured
fonts in a program I'm writing, and wonder if this
just shouldn't be done with gtkglext, or if there's
just something odd about the example, or my possibly
my system?
I have fairly recent hardware: AMD Duron 2.2gHz, and
ATI Radeon 3d card.  No other opengl software,
including all other gtkglext examples runs slow like

Do You Yahoo!?