[Fwd: Re: [GtkGLExt] gtkglext-1.0.6 not yet updated to work with gtk+-2.8.x]

Oooops! Went to go to the mailing list. Forgot to change the receipant to gtkglext-list gnome org when clicking on the reply button.

Noticed the mailing list does not make gtkglext-list gnome org the default reply address.

:)

Rizzen
--- Begin Message --- OK that makes plenty sense of not wanting gtkglext included into GTK+ as it is serious widget ready for OpenGL application application, but at the same time I noticed that Project Ridley want to include libgome and libgnomeui (the advance GUI widget set) into GTK+. Maybe it is the way the gtkglext widget functions that they dislike and they would like to see the interface altered. We should not ignore Project Ridley as we work on keeping gtkglext up to date to the latest GTK+ version. Maybe have two branches in the CVS, one for continued update of the standard very complete gtkglext widget and the other branch for development of a simplified gtkgl widget for GTK+ inclusion. Thus way we can keep both widgets up to date to the latest GTK+ version.

Rizzen

Lakin Wecker wrote:

My understanding of Project Ridley and the Bugzilla Comments is that gtkglext is not suitable for inclusion into gtk+. Many of these comments seem to suggest that gtkglext does way too much to be included directly in gtk+. Remember, Gtk+ is simply a gui toolkit, not an application development framework. Rather, there needs to be some work at getting Gtk+ to support OpenGL using the appropriate Visuals configured with GLX in the X environment, wGL? in win32, and whatever utilities are used for MacOS. Obviously gtkglext does this already, so there using its code directly would save time. However, I don't think we need CVS write access for gtkglext to begin working on Project Ridley We can set up a separate project/source control for this until it's ready for inclusion into Gtk+. So development on this can start as soon as some interested people start coding. Additionally, GLUT also does all of this on the various platforms and would probably provide a very good roadmap for the project.

I agree with you that gtkglext is great and shouldn't go away. Rather, it should be updated to work with the new versions of Gtk, including the version which will contain the work I just described. But I feel that gtkglext would benifit from staying seperate from Gtk proper, as this allows it to provide an entire OpenGL application development, while Gtk+ will remain a GUI toolkit. In order to do this, we need CVS write access.

Comments?  Ideas?

Lakin

--- End Message ---