Re: [GtkGLExt] What's the difference between GtkGlExt's own buffer-swapping and Gdk's ...

 --- Alif Wahid <alif wahid gmail com> wrote:
> Hi Jack,
>
> > So which method is faster?
>
> Like Marcelo said, OpenGL is very much likely to be faster. Even on
> systems without dedicated graphics hardware, OpenGL usually utilizes
> two actual framebuffers in memory and just constantly swaps between
> the two. On the other hand, double buffering in Gdk is most likely to
> copy raster data and that takes time.
>
> Alif.

Thank you. Though I think even OpenGL has to copy data, too. After all,
only the graphic card's memory address in RAM is for updating the
screen, right? Then you would still have to 'copy' data in the buffer
to that address. I just don't know the internals of OpenGL and GTK+ to
know which routine is faster. (sigh...)

Jack