Re: [GtkGLExt] Problems getting gtkglext to work under Cygwin

Douglas A. Vechinski wrote:
Naofumi Yasufuku wrote:

On 04.2.27 5:09 AM, "Douglas A. Vechinski" <douglas vechinski dynetics com>
wrote:
I have also tried downloading the gtkglext-win32-1.0.5.zip file from
sourceforge which I thought would be a precompiled version that I could
use under Cygwin.  Unzipped the files in /usr/local.  I then try
compiling siimple.c.  It compiled with no errors.  However when I tried
executing it I get an error that it was unable to located
libgdk-win32-2.0-0.dll.  There is a libgdk-win32-2.0.dll.a under /lib
but it doesn't seem to work.

You have to set DLL path to PATH environment variable. If you are using
Tor's win32 GTK+ binary, DLLs are located under bin/ directory.

Regards,
--Naofumi

I had also downloaded Tor'x GTK+ binarys and had the PATH environment variable set but still had problems. I was trying to used pre-compiled binaries of the packages and only resorted to trying to compile GtkGLext when I was having problems.

Okay, let me reiterate my goals. My primary goal is to be able to compile a gtkglext code under the Cygwin environment so that the executable run under win32 (i.e. so an Xserver is not necessary). My secondary goal is they same as my primary goal plus being able to throw the -mno-cygwin flag so that the executable does not require the cygwin1.dll.

Now, I downloaded precompiled packages atk, pango, glib, gtk+ from http://web.sfc.keio.ac.jp/~s01397ms/cygwin had the cygwin setup installer install them. I have been able to compile some gtk+ examples which appear to run under win32 (i.e. I used `pkg-config --cflags --libs gtk+-win32-2.0`).

Next, I downloaded the pre-compiled gtkglext-win32-1.0.5.zip file from sourceforge and unzipped then under /usr/local on my Cygwin installation. I then changed the prefix line to /usr/local for /usr/local/lib/pkgconfig/gdkglext-win32-1.0.pc and /usr/local/lib/pkgconfig/gtkglext-win32-1.0.pc

When I try compiling a simple gtkglext example, (using gcc -o simple simple.c `pkg-config --cflags --libs gtkglext-win32-1.0`) it compiles but when executed it complains that it can't find libgdk-win32-2.0-0.dll. The closest file I have is libgdk-win32-2.0.dll.a under the /lib under cygwin and I have c:\cygwin\bin and c:\cygwin\lib and c:\cygwin\usr\local\bin include in my windows PATH environment variable.

So my questions are:

Should it be possible to achieve my primary goal with the pre-compiled packages I described above?

Yes I successfully cross-compile valid win32 executables from linux with mingw
(which is what you get with -mno-cygwin) against gtkglext.  I did not use
the cygwin installer (as I am building under linux), I have just set out my own
installation.  I am hoping to get time to repeat what I did (several months ago)
in the next few days.  This time I should make some notes which I could share.

If so, does my description of their installation sound right and the alteration of the .pc files?

Having hand constructed my tree by moving files around my .pc files are all
wrong, so I have not been using pkg-config for my win32 build.  I hope to fix
some of these things knowing that I can generate valid executables.

If so, why does the resulting executable want the extra -0 in the name of the libgdk file?

Assuming I can get something working, what effect will trying to compile with -mno-cygwin have on compiling and execution?

-mno-cygwin provides a mingw type environment.  This should be OK so long
as you don't have other requirements for cygwin in your code.

If the above setup won't work for some reason, what do I need to do as far as setup inorder to use Tor's GTK+ binarys but compiling under Cygwin? Would this route be more "desirable" for end-users, i.e. the people who just want to run/use the code. Would they just need to install Tor's dlls and set the PATH appropriately?

Yes.  I just provide it all in a zip.

I just had a look around in my build.  I have built gtkgl statically so that I
have a .a rather than a dll.a and so there is no equivalent dll.  I cannot
remember why I did this exactly.  I would hope to make my build more equivalent
to the rest of gtk when I rebuild.

Lot's of questions, I hope I have provide enough details. ( I had also made a brief stab at trying to get GtkGLext to work under X11 under Cygwin and had problems but I don't want to chase this rabbit just yet. Hopefully I can eventually get one of the above to work first.)