Re: [GtkGLExt-develop] Gtkglarea and Gtkglext

Hi,

At Fri, 20 Sep 2002 10:55:57 +1200,
Shane Blackett wrote:

> My biggest problem is going to be that we use Perl in the same software
> and the GtkPerl bindings
> for Gtk2.0 are still in their infancy.  So I am left with 3 options,
> work on the Gtk2.0 perl bindings,
> recode GtkGlExt for Gtk1.2 or use GtkGlArea for the time being.  I will
> probably do the first and last. :-)

I have no intention of rewriting GtkGLExt to support GTK-1.2 for the
moment. GtkGLArea is widely used for GTK-1.2. I don't know whether
GtkPerl is still actively developped.

Anyway, GtkGLArea is still buggy, but the development is suspended and
not well maintained. I had tried to use GtkGLArea-1.99.0 on IRIX, but
it had not work at all. I had fixed it, and sent a patch to Zach Frey
at that time. But there had been no active response, so that I had
started the GtkGLExt project.

GtkGLExt is fully compliant with latest GTK2 conventions, and it has
no deprecated code. GtkGLExt is designed to be the supplemental
GtkWidget API for supporting OpenGL rendering. It means that
programmers can use OpenGL with standard GTK+ widgets, and even with
other custom widgets. And then, some problems of GtkGLArea have been
solved. For example, GtkGLArea cannot treat GLPixmap correctly on
Win32, but the problem have already solved with GtkGLExt.

I have recently posted the following message to gtkglarea-list.

  http://mail.gnome.org/archives/gtkglarea-list/2002-September/msg00000.html

I think GtkGLArea could be built upon GtkGLExt as one OpenGL widget,
and we could cooperate to do it. But there isn't any active response :-/

--
Naofumi Yasufuku  <naofumi users sourceforge net>

"The best way to predict the future is to invent it." -- Alan Kay