[gtkdatabox] Fwd: Re: plot data stream in realtime

Sorry, I answered to Matt instead to the list.

> I am open to the idea of removing the static type associated with the
> gtkdatabox vectors.

That's exactly what I'm trying to achieve with changing the internals. That's why I also mentioned we can add a compatibility layer and add a deprecation note on the staticaly-allocated vectors so we don't affect users, just as GTK developers do with deprecation. The use of GArray is just because of it's functionality of growing as data is added without losing performance in the process. I know is a major change, but we can devise it in a way that won't affect already-written code. I think this widget should be simple in use but feature rich and versatile, it is already a very good way to plot static (or almost non-changing) data, because you have to actually delete the graph and recreate it. In the code I sent, you don't need to delete the graph, just add data to the set and redraw the widget. Of course that is not done in a way that is effective, to be smoother and improve performance (maybe) the internal structure of the widget needs to be changed.

The values_to_pixels method would indeed need to be adressed if GtkDatabox is going to be ported to GTK3 eventually. And maybe a big portion of the code-base.

I'm whiling to help in development if I can.

Cya

Joaquín