Re: Regarding segmentation fault while creating boxes

For some reason, my first attempt to send this mail did not make it. It might therefore be that this mail appears two times...

Hi Nisha,

without the code, this is hard to tell. I would still guess that you
have some error in your pointer arithmetic.

Since you report "random" errors, the problem might also be in a
completely different area of the code. Writing data outside array
boundaries might cause such effects.

There is a nice open source tool called "valgrind" which we are using
rather successfully in such situations in my current company. Calling

valgrind <your program>

you will get a lot of information about memory usage and lots of
potential problems like uninitialized data, array boundaries etc.

Valgrind also works well with multi-threaded applications.

I have not used it on any gtk application yet, because I have learnt
about that tool only recently. Using valgrind on gtkdatabox is one of
the big issues on my list of TODOs before releasing the next version.

If valgrind does not lead you to the solution of your problems, I
suggest you send the *complete code* of an very minimal example that
reproduces the problem. Sniplets or error messages from the system or
the debugger are much tougher to analyse (at least for me).

Regards,

Roland

PS: This also applies for the graph color problem and the resize issue
(valgrind and/or code for the former, code for the latter).

nisha jain wrote:
Hi All,
I am trying to get multiple boxs using gtkdatabox APIs and then i am attaching with it multiple graphs doing so i am getting unexpected segmentation faults also these are random in nature. I tried checking all my pointer logic and started making from scratch again but i again received the segmentation fault. I finally checked it using gdb debugger after taking core dump and tried to backtrace my code i am attaching the result as follows --
[sbox-CHINOOK_X86: ~/Local_WorkSpace_Nisha/N800_DIR] > gdb N800App core
GNU gdb 6.4.90
This GDB was configured as "i686-pc-linux-gnu"...Using host libthread_db library "/scratchbox/host_shared/lib/libthread_db.so.1".

*Core was generated by `./N800App'.
#0  0x08049cb0 in signal_idle_func (box=0x806e800) at N800App.c:380
380        if (!GTK_IS_DATABOX (box))
(gdb)
*

Please let me know if some one can provide any idea why this is happening? Regards,
Nisha