Re: set_encoding() in VncDisplay

On Mon, Aug 31, 2009 at 05:19:05PM -0300, Jonh Wendell wrote:
> Hi, folks.
>
> I've created this function in 'encoding' branch of gtk-vnc[1]

I'd prefer it if patches are sent to the list, rather than pushed to
branches in the repo - it is not good practice to publish throw-away
branches in the main repository. Once something is pushed to the main
repo it should never be deleted or rebased, because that can cause
trouble / confusion for people tracking the repo.

I tend to recommend sites like gitorious/github for hosting personal
development branches that are intended to be rebased/discarded once
work is merged.

> Opinions?
>
> [1]-http://git.gnome.org/cgit/gtk-vnc/?h=encoding

I'm not really understanding the point of this new function, adding
two tunables

  VNC_DISPLAY_ENCODING_SPEED
  VNC_DISPLAY_ENCODING_QUALITY

When 'SPEED' is set, it is just adding the ZRLE encoding, and swapping
order of RRE/COPYRECT, and then duplicating the existing tunable for
allowing JPEG or not. ZRLE, RRE, COPYRIGHT are all loss-less encodings
so if one order is faster, it should be used all the time, there is no
quality issue involved in that choice.

If that ordering is determined, then having a set_encoding method is
redundant since we already have a set_lossy method for turning on/off
JPEG encodings which do impact quality.

BTW, on the performance front we could do with having a method to set
an artificially lower colour depth. Switching from 32/24-bit to 16-bit
colour depth can hugely increase our performance

Regards,
Daniel
--
|: http://berrange.com/     -o-    http://www.flickr.com/photos/dberrange/ :|