Re: [gtk-vnc-devel] [patch] ipv6

On Thu, Feb 19, 2009 at 11:34:52AM -0300, Jonh Wendell wrote:
> Hi, folks, with this trivial patch I'm able to connect into ipv6 address
> hosts. Also, I changed a bit the error messages in debug output.
>
> Okay?

No, this is wrong.  Please see this page for a description of
why it is wrong

  http://people.redhat.com/drepper/userapi-ipv6.html

  "AI_ADDRCONFIG
    This flag should always be set when the returned values
    are needed to make connections. If no specific protocol
    is requested, the Linux getaddrinfo implementation returns
    both IPv4 and IPv6 addresses. This can be less than optimal
    and is certainly slower if the machine has only interfaces
    for one protocol. These days there are still many systems
    which have no configured IPv6 address at all. In that case
    using an IPv6 address will always fail. Worse, it might
    cause the IPv6 kernel module to be loaded unnecessarily.
    Using AI_ADDRCONFIG avoids this by determining what
    protocols are supported by the currently configured
    network interfaces and return only addresses for those."

Daniel