Re: [gtk-vnc-devel] [patch] debug messages revisited

Jonh Wendell wrote:
Ok, guys.

Here it's another approach:

- I dropped --enable-debug stuff in configure stage. We always build
with debug framework.

- There's a new function, vnc_display_get_option_group() which returns a
GOptionGroup, and should be used by apps if they want debug (and future
other stuff from gtk-vnc) support.

Example of usage in a client (vinagre):

  context = g_option_context_new (_("- VNC Client for GNOME"));
  g_option_context_add_main_entries (context, options, GETTEXT_PACKAGE);
  g_option_context_add_group (context, gtk_get_option_group (TRUE));
  g_option_context_add_group (context, vnc_display_get_option_group ());
  g_option_context_parse (context, &argc, &argv, &error);

And that will appear like that:

LANG=C ./vinagre --help
Usage:
  vinagre [OPTION...] [server:port] - VNC Client for GNOME

Help Options:
  -?, --help               Show help options
  --help-all               Show all help options
  --help-gtk               Show GTK+ Options
  --help-gtk-vnc           Show GTK-VNC Options

Application Options:
  -f, --file=filename      Opens a .vnc file
  --display=DISPLAY        X display to use

 LANG=C ./vinagre --help-gtk-vnc
Usage:
  vinagre [OPTION...] [server:port] - VNC Client for GNOME

GTK-VNC Options
  --gtk-vnc-debug          Enables debug output

Very easy, all dirty job is done by GLib.

About the initialization of gtkglext:
I took a look at its source code, and all it does with the arguments is
to check for debug. I don't care about this. I think we don't need to
change anything. If it uses GOptions, we could easily add them into
gtk-vnc. One day, when it get merged into gtk+ that initialization will
be no longer necessary.

About the patch itself... comments?

Looks good to me!

Could just add add the necessary plumbing to examples/gvncviewer.c? That's what I tend to use for debugging so it would be very helpful.

Regards,

Anthony Liguori

Cheers,