Re: [gtk-vnc-devel] VNC sessions on a 3-d spinning cube

Daniel P. Berrange wrote:
On Tue, Dec 18, 2007 at 11:04:12PM -0500, Anthony Liguori wrote:
Hi Dan,

Daniel P. Berrange wrote:
One evil thought, led to another even more evil thought, and thus I ended up writing a VNC viewer program which displays multiple VNC sessions on a spinning cube....

http://berrange.com/personal/diary/2007/11/vnc-sessions-on-3-d-spinning-cube

It doesn't work with the current version of GTK-VNC. I needed to add a
couple of Anthony's patches to propagate mouse events. I also need to add
an API for sending fake mouse events, and a nnew signal to get notices of
the VNC region updates so I could refresh the textures. I don't claim it
is fast/efficient. It is fun though. I think its probably better to write
it to interact directly with the GVNC class, rather than hooking into the
VNC DIsplay frontend, since Clutter doesn't technically need to use GTK
at all - it talks OpenGL & X11 directly. I used the Clutter<->GTK bridge
for this hack though.
So I'm actually very interested in trying to merge in what you need to interact with Clutter. I want to refactor gvnc to be a GObject which you could then presumably easily hook up to Clutter. Can you take a look at the gvnc interface and see if that, as a GObject, would be sufficient? I am interested in using Clutter to provide scaling support and perhaps some other interesting effects.

After playing around with it a little I'm not sure that using Clutter
as our primary scaling engine is the right thing todo. Clutter is really
a standalone graphics/media engine based on top of glib/gobject. The
stuff I used is a Clutter<->GTK bridge which is rather fragile and fairly
limited.
I think it could be interesting to create a pure Clutter VNC widget that
used the lowlevel gvnc stuff directly, bypassing the GTK bits in our
existing code. Likewise if we want to add OpenGL accelerated scaling
to our existing GTK bits I think we shouldn't use Clutter for that.

Any suggestions for integrating OpenGL with gtk? I looked recently but it seemed like gtkglarea was unmaintained.

Regards,

Anthony Liguori

So I really see two top level widgets - one Clutter based and one GTK
based. Both using the same underlying GVNC gobject.
Dan.