Re: [gtk-vnc-devel] RFC: api for openning a tunnelled connection

Em Ter, 2007-08-28 às 22:39 +0100, Daniel P. Berrange escreveu:
> We currently have two APIs for openning connections
>    vnc_display_open_fd  - takes a pre-opened file handle
>    vnc_display_open_host - takes hostname & servicename (aka port)
> Another pretty common way to access VNC servers is by tunnelling them over
> SSH. Now obviously any client apps could implement this themselves by forking
> ssh and then calling vnc_display_open_fd. I don't particularly want to have
> to implement this multiple times in each app though. So what do people think
> about having an explicit API for openning an SSH tunnelled connection, and
> even an arbitrary 'external' tunnel script (cf CVS 'ext' method).
>   vnc_display_open_ssh_tunnel(VncDisplay *d, const char *user, const char *host, const char *port)
>   vnc_display_open_ext_tunnel(VncDisplay *d, const char *script);
> Or just one todo both ....
>    vnc_display_open_ext_tunnel(VncDisplay *d, const char **argv);
> Attaching a crude impl of the SSH tunnel impl
> Regards,
> Dan.

Hi, Dan.

Really this is a great feature. I never connected into a machine via ssh
tunelled connection. So, some questions:

- Doesn't it need a password?
- The port parameter is the port of VNC or port of SSH?
- What about use the same api (vnc_display_open_host), just adding a
boolean parameter to indicate if the connection is via ssh or not?

Jonh Wendell
jonh wendell gmail com (MSN / Google Talk)

Linux User #114432