Re: Async HTTP download with Glib event loop doesn't work on windows

On Thu, 2017-03-09 at 08:32 -0800, Brian Manning wrote:
On Wed, Mar 8, 2017 at 4:58 AM, Peter Juhasz <peter juhasz83 gmail com> wrote:
Dear Gtk-Perl experts,

We have a legacy Gtk2 application that occasionally has to send HTTP
requests asynchronously.
We've noticed that it hangs on Windows with recent perls.

What was the last versions of Perl/Gtk2/Glib/AnyEvent that worked for
you on Windows?

I have an old Vista VM here from around 2009 with Camelbox* installed:
perl 5.10.0
Glib.pm 1.221
Gtk2.pm 1.220
AnyEvent.pm 7.13
glib 2.20.0

This combination seems to work.

I also have anecdotal evidence from my colleague that our application
works with perl 5.12, I don't know the version numbers for the rest of
the modules though.

In theory, the next steps would be bisecting the Perl and Glib versions
until the change that broke our use case can be identified, but in
practice it is quite hard and time consuming to assemble even one
working combination of Perl/Gtk2 on Windows.

Which is why I liked to use *Camelbox in the past. It delivered exactly
what it promised: a pain-free way to install Perl with Gtk2 and
everything else needed on Windows. Pity it was never updated after a
while.

Finally, my question:
is there any hope that this issue will be fixed, or at least its cause be
found, or should we abandon this approach entirely?

I'm going to guess that you're the only person trying to do this; you
may want to take that into consideration.

I do realize that the world has moved on and Gtk2-Perl is obsolete, but
we have to support our legacy application, and we'd like to upgrade to
the latest and greatest Perl version for its performance and syntax
enhancements, but we can't because of this bug.

BTW there are multiple relevant-looking bugs mentioned in glib's source
in https://github.com/GNOME/glib/blob/master/glib/giowin32.c , perhaps
it'd worth to report this issue to them so that they know that there is
still something wrong with glib's socket support on Windows, if not
anything else.

Thanks,

Brian

thanks for the reply in any case,