Question and possibly bugs about string encoding in gtk-perl

[ please keep me and dod debian org cc-ed -- not subscribed into the list.
thanks ]

Dear gtk-perl members,

I encountered a strange problem about the encoding of perl binding output.
Things start with a bug in the screenshot program (shutter). Links:

Debian: https://bugs.debian.org/847051
Ubuntu: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/shutter/+bug/1556021
Upstream: https://bugs.launchpad.net/shutter/+bug/1618310

The original messy output, as indicated in screenshot in the Ubuntu bug, looks
like treating a latin-1-encoded binary data as UTF-8-encoded data and showing
them anyway. The hacky patch proposed (by me) is using Encode::_utf8_on() to
turn on the internal flag for string and mark it as UTF-8. Note that I am not a
perl programmer and I don't know if it is 100% correct, but it works for
everyone I know about.

However, I have no idea if the output would depend on the locale or the
default encoding of the system. So what is the encoding of the output of
$widget->get_name? Does it depend on system locale? Is it a bug that the
output is *not* marked as utf8 string by default? The answer would help us
confirm that the patch for shutter is correct or not.

Thank you for your time!

Sincerely,
Boyuan Yang