Recommended way of building on OSX

Hi all.

I've successfully ( largely ) built on OSX using jhbuild, and
compiling a local perl. This works pretty well, as far as I can tell,
though I'm testing using vnc tunnelled through ssh and going half-way
around the world, as I don't have an OSX box myself ... so it's kinda
hard to tell how things *really* work.

Anyway, I had to do a fair bit of hacking to get icons and themes to
display properly. I'm wondering if other methods ( MacPorts, homegrown
scripts, whatever ) are any better at getting a 'vanilla' setup that
actually works, and would also work nicely with a locally built perl.
Lastly, I'd like to be able to distribute all this 'somehow', though I
have no idea of packaging on OSX.

Does anyone have any pointers?

Thanks :)

Dan