Re: Help! Custom cell renderers blowing up ...

On 22.02.2013 06:18, Dan Kasak wrote:
Hi Torsten. Thanks, once again, for the reply.

Glad to help.

On Thu, 2013-02-21 at 09:39 +0000, Torsten Schoenfeld wrote:
On 21.02.2013 07:28, Dan Kasak wrote:
> Can't locate object method "EDITING_STARTED" via package
> "Gtk3::Ex::Datasheet::DBI::CellRendererText" at
> /usr/lib64/perl5/site_perl/5.12.4/Gtk3.pm line 228.

I don't get this with my Gtk3 port of odot, so… no clue off-hand.  Can
you provide a self-contained example program exhibiting this?

Done. By the way ... perhaps an easier way of me getting this working is
to look at your Gtk3 port of odot ;)

Yeah, I'm in the process of putting it up somewhere. I'll let you know when it's available.

> use Glib::Object::Subclass
>    Gtk3::CellRendererText::,
>    properties => [
>                      Glib::ParamSpec->object(
>                                                      "editable-widget",
>                                                      "Editable widget",
>                                                      "The editable
> that's used for cell editing.",
>
> Gtk3::Ex::Datasheet::DBI::CellEditableText::,
>                                                      [ qw( readable
> writable ) ]
>                                             ),

Do you need this property?  It was a hack in Odot, and I've now removed
it.  If you don't need it, you can also consider moving the creation of
the editable from INIT_INSTANCE to START_EDITING.

Hmmmm ... The only way I've seen a custom CellRendererText working is by
implementing a CellEditableText, as per your previous example. Perhaps I
don't need it? I didn't do it on purpose ... just pulled in example code
and tweaked until it worked.

I wasn't referring to the custom cell editable per se, but to this specific property on the cell renderer. In odot I needed it because originally the main part of the program needed to connect signal handlers to the cell editable even though it usually only has access to the cell renderer. The cell editable is usually internal to the cell renderer. I've now restructured things a bit so that the main program doesn't need access to the cell editable anymore, hence I could remove this property.

But you might not even need the custom cell editable at all. The only reason for its existence in odot is to support editing multi-line text cells. If you only have single-line text, you can use Gtk3::Entry directly (it implements the Gtk3::CellEditable interface already, unlike Gtk3::TextView).