Re: perl/Gtk2 newbie; problem with utf8 Hebrew

On Mon, Oct 7, 2013 at 7:14 PM, D.Edmons <dedmons comcast net> wrote:
When not using wordwrap in a TextView, and though Hebrew characters begin
every line, and/or comprise a majority of the text, when a new line is
created, the scroll bar always changes and goes to the left-most side.  This
is immensely annoying as one must usually stop typing, grab the mouse, move
the bar over, then continue on.  When one is entering a large number of
small lines with some rather long ones, this causes the text to always
completely disappear (off screen to the right).

I've tried numerous ways to correct this, both as a user to leafpad and
while trying to write my application, to no avail.

It's hard to see what the problem may be without the code that you're
using to display your text in the TextView, but I can show you an
example of Hebrew being used RTL in a TextView, maybe it will help.

If you look in the source tree for Gtk2, there's a 'gtk-demo'
directory, with a file called 'textview.pl'.  You can run this
TextView demo by calling 'perl main.pl' in that directory (assuming
you have Gtk2 properly installed).  Once 'main.pl' opens up, double
click on "Multiple Views" under "Text Widget" to run the TextView
demo.  The TextView demo grabs the TextBuffer object from the TextView
and creates a bunch of tags for it, the tags are applied to the text
in the TextBuffer, and the TextBuffer is displayed in the TextView.
The specific tag that displays the Hebrew text is 'rtl_quote'.

Hope this helps...

Thanks,

Brian