Viewport and style (perl - gtk2)

As a preparation for migrating to gtk3, I presently try replacing all statements of the widget->modify_bg family statements by style declarations. Doing this, I have hit a problem with viewports:

I cannot make a style declaration work for a viewport - the corresponding modify_bg statement works. What also works is attaching an eventbox to the viewport and modifying the backbround there.

I attach a small demo program that illustrates the problem; the original modify_bg statement as well as the eventbox workaround are included as comments. Do I have a problem in my code?, is this a problem in gtk2?

As an alternative, I made a similar program with gtk3: that is even worse, I will show this in a separate mail

Thanks for any help, Juergen