Re: Using Gtk2::Helper->add_watch on win32

On Mon, May 30, 2011 at 9:04 PM, Joe <jrgpmaster gmail com> wrote:
Hi,

So my perl/gtk app (http://sourceforge.net/projects/soldatmistress)
runs perfectly on Linux, Mac OSX, and FreeBSD, but on Windows
(Camelbox Perl and compiling it all from source) it doesn't work since
using Gtk2::Helper->add_watch on a network socket file descriptor
seems to have no effect.

I've searched around and the only conclusion I have found is that
pipes on Windows suck.

Pipes or sockets?  You mention both.

http://perldoc.perl.org/perlport.html#Interprocess-Communication-(IPC) says:

"In general, don't directly access the system in code meant to be
portable. That means, no system, exec, fork, pipe, `` , qx//, open
with a |, nor any of the other things that makes being a perl hacker
worth being."

Do you have an example of code that demonstrates your problem?

Can you use a lower level construct like IO::Select or even the
select() call to watch your sockets (I'm assuming this is what you
meant above) instead of Gtk2::Helper?

Thanks,

Brian