Re: Gtk3

On Mon, 2011-02-14 at 20:28 +0100, Jeffrey Ratcliffe wrote:
Is there any plan for Gtk3?

in theory, Gtk3 should just be a thin, pure Perl wrapper around
Glib::Object::Introspection and the introspection data generated by gtk
+-3.0 itself. in practice, Glib::Object::Introspection needs to be
completed before that happens.

I assume that large portions of Gtk2 will work out of the box compiled
against Gtk3.

generally, yes; all deprecated API has been removed - but there are a
lot of changes post-deprecation: the style API, the drawing API, the
size negotiation API. these changes require a rework of the internals,
since they impact the implementation of widgets. then there's the boring
work of adding the new symbols.

honestly, I'd rather have a working Glib::Object::Introspection.

 However, I understand that it will be possible to
install Gtk2 and 3 in parallel, and that won't be possible with the
Perl bindings unless we do some work.

in theory, Gtk2-Perl is namespaced even on disk. you just need to
duplicate the perl-Gtk2 repository into a perl-Gtk3 one, and change all
the occurrences of "gtk2" with "gtk3" (more or less).

ciao,
 Emmanuele.

--
W: http://www.emmanuelebassi.name