resizing stock icons

I am writing a little app that uses a notebook and I want to be able to delete pages in that notebook. The mechanisms for that I understand. In my naivete I thought that stock icon called "close" would do nicely as the icon to put with the title in the page tab. However, it's far too big and creates a tab that is about 2.5 times bigger than I want.

Is there a mechanism to (auto) resize the stock icon to fit with the text size in the page tab?

Dirk