Re: Glib::filename_to_unicode bug?

On Fri, Apr 16, 2010 at 12:19 PM, Dave Hayes <dave jetcafe org> wrote:
I guess I should ask this: If I have files on the disk that have invalid
UTF-8 characters in them, do I have a way to get Glib to operate on
files who's names are invalid UTF-8 strings? Is Glib really forcing me
to rename this file to operate on it? :)

http://library.gnome.org/devel/glib/stable/glib-Character-Set-Conversion.html

"Glib uses UTF-8 for its strings, and GUI toolkits like GTK+ that use
Glib do the same thing. If you get a file name from the file system,
for example, from readdir(3) or from g_dir_read_name(), and you wish
to display the file name to the user, you  will need to convert it
into UTF-8."

You could always keep a mapping of filenames to valid UTF-8 filenames
if you don't want to rename the files.

Thanks,

Brian