Display Japanese Characters in GtkComboBox

Hi,

I am retrieving japanese characters from a MySQL database and trying
to display them in a combo box.

At the moment I am setting up my model using:

my $liststore = Gtk2::ListStore->new('Glib::Int', 'Glib::String',
'Glib::String');

But the characters all appear mainly as small squares with numbers in
each of the corners; in other words not the japanese characters that I
can see when simply querying the table through mysql-client.

Is there a different data type that I can use so that these characters
are displayed?

Or is this a font issue?

My OS is Ubuntu 8.04.

Thanks for any suggestions.