Re: Idea: Can we modify Devel::REPL or combine with Perl Object Environment to have programmatic interaction with a gtk2-perl process like in other languages?

Mitchell Laks wrote:

I like perl and gtk2  and   would rather use it than  xyz (other languages
:)).

Can we set up a working interactive REPL with gtk2-perl as with pygtk for
instance. I can use Devel::REPL to start and  build the gui
but then I lose the interaction control once I start Gtk2->main;

I would like to redefine callbacks, change widgets on the fly etc as we
continue the interaction using Devel::REPL. I have done it with pygtk of
course using the program
pygtkconsole.py. Do we modify Devel::REPL or set up something with perl POE?

I think we should be able to do this with gtk2-perl, although I am still
learnining some of this stuff so I wanted your opinions on the details. Could
we use perl POE?

Hw to keep access to the working program? Now I know that there are issues
with gui threads. However can you imagine doing something with perl POE?

Remco Wouts did something along those lines:
http://mail.gnome.org/archives/gtk-perl-list/2005-January/msg00128.html

as did i:
http://asofyet.org/muppet/software/gtk2-perl/gish.html
http://asofyet.org/muppet/software/gtk2-perl/gws.html

There should be some ideas in there on how to fix the mainloop issue.  :-)

--
muppet <scott at asofyet dot org>