Re: paramspec value_validate

Torsten Schoenfeld <kaffeetisch gmx de> writes:

There's one thing that still isn't clear to me: what about the
gunichar issue? Your wrapper of g_param_value_validate uses
gperl_value_from_sv,

Yes, I basically followed g_object_set doing init_property_value() and
gperl_value_from_sv() once I realized value_validate isn't a general
validity check, only further restrictions on a GValue of already correct
GType.

so it will not accept single-char strings, only
plain numbers.  Wouldn't a user expect to be able to pass in
single-char strings?

Maybe, but I think value_validate and value_cmp will be working on
things that you're soon to pass to or from get_property and
set_property, so I think they might best follow those latter, for better
or worse.

It does leave me
worrying about the inconsistent gunichar API we offer, however.
Manually wrapped functions return and take single-char strings.  But
everything which goes through the property system needs to be a plain
integer.  Is there anything we can do about this?

I guess the blame lies with GValue unhelpfully not distinguishing a
unichar.  I suspect trying to fight against that in unichar paramspecs
might only lead to more pain, or only pain of a different kind. :-)

The best I can think is just try to confine the numeric style to things
related to parameters and paramspecs and put it down to hysterical
raisins. :-(

"svn diff" from the root.

I'll try to do that at least for multiple files.