Re: Standalone Pango, take two

On Nov 2, 2008, at 1:14 PM, Sergei Steshenko wrote:

--- On Sun, 11/2/08, Torsten Schoenfeld <kaffeetisch gmx de> wrote:

Sergei Steshenko wrote:
I think the safest approach is to export/map
_nothing_.

If one needs method/data, he/she should explicitly
prefix it with
package name.

I think you're confusing something here.  We are not
talking about exporting symbols into the user's
namespace.  Gtk2 never did that (if not asked for it), Pango
will not do it, and the compatibility layer will not do it
either.  We are talking about creating aliases in
Gtk2::Pango for the symbols in Pango.

-Torsten

Then what is export exactly ?

Isn't it populating one package namespace with symbols from another package ?

Yes, that's what exporting is.  That's not at all what we're discussing.

We initially had the pango library wrapped in the namespace Gtk2::Pango, because we thought, naively, "who would ever want to use pango without gtk+?" Well, there are those who do. Now we have pango wrapped in the namespace Pango, but we still need the existing code to work. Hence, the discussion is about making sure that references to Gtk2::Pango::foo will map correctly to Pango::foo.

The "yellow wire" trick was a brute-force mapping of everything in the Pango namespace to the Gtk2::Pango namespace --- two names for each symbol, basically. We're trying to determine if there's a better way.

The only exports involved here are the PANGO_FOO constants from the actual Gtk2::Pango module, which was imported by the user only if needed.

--
Well done, Android. Aperture Science reminds you that Android Hell is a real place, and you will be sent there at the first sign of defiance.
   -- GlaDOS