Re: I wrote a gtk2-perl application, need advice

--- Mitchell Laks <mlaks post harvard edu> wrote:

1) A professional software engineer would know where to put things in a /usr/share and /usr/bin.
I have all the code
and data  in my current directory and subdirectories. What is the next step?

Perhaps I want to write my data to /usr/share/Cybergaon/MTR/*, and the application to
/usr/bin/cybergaon.pl
or something like /usr/share/local/bin/cybergaon.pl. Suggestions?

Well, my approach is to organize a tree and to put the script and modules/libraries the
script depends on into the the tree.

Also, the script should calculate location of libraries/modules it depends on (the ones
you wrote) according to $0.

In such a manner you get "position-independent" (in terms of filesystem) tool,
so you and/or end users can put the script tree wherever they like.

In the Windows world it is called nowadays "portable applications".

I'm writing all my scripts this way.

Regards,
  Sergei.

Applications From Scratch: http://appsfromscratch.berlios.de/