Re: Standalone Pango

Applications From Scratch: http://appsfromscratch.berlios.de/

--- On Sun, 6/29/08, muppet <scott asofyet org> wrote:

From: muppet <scott asofyet org>
Subject: Re: Standalone Pango
To: "gtk2-perl List" <gtk-perl-list gnome org>
Date: Sunday, June 29, 2008, 10:36 AM
On Jun 29, 2008, at 10:20 AM, Torsten Schoenfeld wrote:

      /* i love nasty ugly hacks for backwards compat...
Glib::UInt used
       * to be misspelled as Glib::Uint.  by registering both
names to the
       * same gtype, we get the mappings for two packages to one
gtype, but
       * only one mapping (the last and correct one) from type
to package.
       */
      G_LOCK (types_by_package);
      g_hash_table_insert (types_by_package,
"Glib::Uint",
                           (gpointer) G_TYPE_UINT);
      G_UNLOCK (types_by_package);

(Please note the sarcasm in the comment.)

Is GNOME/gtk+/gtk-perl all like that ?

I mean, is it the accepted practice to write ugly backward compatibility
hacks instead of fixing the root cause ?

Thanks,
  Sergei.