non-blocking delay in dialog emulation subclass

Hi,
The general idea is to make a Dialog type widget, that returns
data instead of predefined button values, as a Dialog does it.

So I used a non-blocking delay ( shown to me by muppet :-) ),
to make a window stay open during a Show(). Without the delay,
the Show() would return right away.
In Perl/Tk, there is a waitVariable method, that will wait at that
point( non-blocking) until a variable changed. This is an attempt to
simulate that behavior.
Is this the best way to do this? Does Glib have something similar
to waitVariable?
Anyways, I would appreciate any improvements. The way it works,
is during the Show() sub, the window will wait until a button
is pressed, then return a hex string if the button was Ok.
Bad or Good? :-)

This is just a basic idea, I've yet to work out setting input values, and
resetting. My main question is the use of the non-blocking delay to get
a response, the best way?

See attachment.

Thanks,
zentara