Re: OFF-TOPIC: Perl...

--- Juan José 'Peco' San Martín <peco microbotica es> wrote:

I know this is not the right place to write this but...

I'm afraid of Perl. I love it, I think it's a wonderful language and
what to say about CPAN... is uncomparable!.

But today, if you want to develop for the the Nokia Smartphones
(Symbian), or for the Nintendo DS, or for large systems or for
GNOME/GTK, etc... the commom language seems to be Python.

Perl6 is comming but may be it's too late.

Really sorry for this FUD if somebody thinks that it's what is. :-/

Thoughts are welcome.

Peco

Python, AFAIK, does not compare to Perl, and not in favor of Python.

AFAIK, there are no closures in Python, and scoping is poor.

A nice article by Larry Wall: "Programming is Hard, Let's Go Scripting..." ->

http://www.perl.com/lpt/a/997
.

If you're a fan of OOP, it has a pointer to "Moose" module:

http://search.cpan.org/~stevan/Moose-0.36/lib/Moose.pm

- I am not that crazy about OOP, but this module can be a good argument
dealing with people who are.

Also, AFAIK, Python does not have anonymous import, which Perl has, and
this is my most favorite Perl feature.

I think the module supercedes OOP capabilities of Python, and maybe even
Ruby.

By the way, Ruby is a much cleaner than Python language, so I really do not
understand the hype around Python.

Perl is a really powerful and efficient language, and good programmers can
write really clean code in it.

Regards,
  Sergei.

Applications From Scratch: http://appsfromscratch.berlios.de/