Re: Buttons on title bar?

On Fri, 25 Apr 2008 10:29:34 -0600
"John McDermott" <jjm jkintl com> wrote:

On my linux system I have two desktops. When I right-click on the title
bar I get a menu (from the window manager). When the window is on the left
of the two desktops one of the menu items is "Move to Workspace Right" (it
is similar for the other desktop). I use this feature a lot. That makes me
want to have a little button on the title bar with an L or an R. I *know*
this is a wm function. Is there some way for a perl-gtk app to ask the WM
to put a botton the title bar or to add to that menu *for the particular
app only*. I really don't want to have to modify a theme or some other
file as I want this app to be very user-friendly.

I haven't found any examples in the gtk-perl examples, nor has google been
much help. I would think it would fall into the category of wm hints that
I'd have to access through xlib, but I cannot find it searching for that
either. Any ideas?

I know some folks will think this is window manager heresy. I'm sorry. I
just want something very easy for a particular type of user.

Thanks,
--john
--
John McDermott, CPLP, CCP
Learning and Performance Consultant

You might want to look at X11::WMCtrl which allows controlling
compliant window manager virtual desktops.
My ICEWM is setup to have 10 desktops, and I've included a sample script
I run at boot, to auto-setup my programs.

 I don't know about putting a
button on the titlebar, but you can put an icon(with popup men) in the trayicon.
You may also be able to make a small window with button in the lower right corner
of your screen, with it's set_decorated set to 0, so it looks like a button.

See attachments for examples.

zentara

http://zentara.net/japh.html